Do you often feel like you can’t focus on anything for more than a few minutes? If so, you’re not alone. Attention span has decreased significantly in recent years, thanks to the ever-growing number of distractions available to us.
Tips on improving attention span
There are many ways to improve your attention span. Some methods are more effective than others, but all of them can help in some way. Below are seven tips that will help you focus better:
1. Get enough sleep: Most people need around eight hours of sleep per night to function properly the next day. If you’re not getting enough sleep, you’ll likely be tired and have a more challenging time paying attention.
2. Avoid distractions: It can be hard to focus when constant distractions are around you. Turn off your phone, TV, and computer when you need to focus on a task and avoid sitting in places where there are a lot of distractions (like near a window or door).
3. Take breaks: Working for long periods of time without taking a break can actually make it harder to focus later on. Instead, take short breaks every 20-30 minutes to get up and move around a bit.
4. Do something active: A recent study showed that people who did something active (like bouncing on a trampoline) were able to pay more attention later on than those who didn’t do anything active.
5. Turn off your phone right before you go to bed and leave it in “Airplane Mode” all night. This alone will greatly improve the quality of your sleep, reduce the EMF exposure from your phone, and allow you to rest properly through the night – making sure that you wake up much more refreshed and recharged for the new day.
6. Organizing your nearest environment has tremendous positive effects on your focus, so why not start making your place a bit more de-cluttered and minimalistic 🙂
7. Set boundaries with technology: Technology can be a significant distraction, especially when working online or using social media sites. To increase your attention span, set specific times to allow yourself to use technology and stick to them.
Here are my top three favorite techniques for increasing attention span:
Reduce distractions: It’s difficult to focus if distractions, such as notifications on your phone or loud noises, constantly bombard you. See which distractions you can eliminate and create a quiet, focused workspace.
Use techniques to improve focus: There are several techniques that can help to improve focus, such as the Pomodoro Technique (working in short bursts with breaks in between) or mindfulness meditation. Experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you.
Practice regularly: Like any skill, attention span can be improved with practice. Set aside time each day to practice focusing on a single task, and gradually increase the amount of time you can stay focused.